A new adware known as CopyCat has infected 14 million Android devices around the world, with the majority hitting Asia (55%), followed by Africa (18%), and then the Americas (12%). It is believed that this malware is predominantly spreading to Android devices in Southeast Asia, but certain reports confirmed that this Adware has already hit more than 280,000 handsets in the US. Check Point researchers first ran across CopyCat Virus in March this year, after one of its enterprise customers was attacked by this malware. However, the security company believes the CopyCat Virus campaign hit its peak between April and May of 2016.
Damaging Effects Of CopyCat Virus
If you are aware on how to Operate your system properly then go for manual steps of removal or else go for the Download CopyCat Virus Removal Tool
How does it work into your mobile?
CopyCat is a well-planned malware with massive capabilities, including rooting devices, establishing persistency, and injecting code into Zygote (OS) for android.
Zygote android is a daemon responsible for launching apps in the Android operating system – that allows the malware to control any activity on the device. CopyCat uses classic technology to conduct various forms of ad fraud. Once infected, CopyCat hijacks the roots in the user’s device, allowing the attackers to gain full control of the device, and essentially leaving the user defenseless. It abuses the Zygote process to display fraudulent ads while hiding their origin, these hidden actions generate large amounts of profits for the creators of CopyCat.
Damaging Effects of CopyCat Virus
- Code sharing with hacking community – the sophisticated capabilities developed by adware developers can be adopted by other malware developers, and used to commit bigger crimes.
- Theft of sensitive information – Some adware, such as Gooligan, steal sensitive information from their victims, which can later be sold to third parties for monetary gains
- Evolving attack strategy – The cyber criminals behind this adware campaigns may redeploy their attacks, spreading different types of malware to rooted or jailbroken devices.
- Device rooting or jailbreaking – Adware frequently roots or jailbreaks devices, thereby breaking the built-in security mechanisms of Android or iOS, leaving victims defenseless to even the lowest level kind of hacks.
Tips to Prevent CopyCat Virus From Infecting Your System:
- Enable your popup blocker: Pop-ups and ads in the websites are the most adoptable tactic used by cyber criminals or developers with the core intention to spread malicious programs like CopyCat Virus. So, avoid clicking uncertain sites, software offers, pop-ups etc.
- Keep your Windows Updated:To avoid such infections, we recommend that you should always keep your system updated through automatic windows update. By doing this you can keep your device free from virus. According to survey, outdated/older versions of windows operating system are an easy target.
- Third party installation:Try to avoid freeware download websites as they usually install bundled of software with any installer or stub file.
- Regular Back up: Regular and periodical backup helps you to keep your data safe in case the system is infected by any kind of virus or any other infection. Thus always backup important files regularly on a cloud drive or an external hard drive.
- Always have an Anti-Virus: Precaution is better than cure. We recommend that you install an antivirus like McAfee or a good Malware Removal Tool like Free Malware RemovalTool. Apart from this we would suggest a regular updating of these software to detect and avoid latest infections.