The coupon store is offered as a free tool to get promo codes and discount coupons. As the name suggests, it seems to be a very useful extension for the user.
The coupon store is a type of adware and this can be installed on the computer without permission. Most of the users believed it to be a form of a virus. This is a browser hijacker which hijacks your browser and redirects you to http://www.couponstore.co
It might look something like this:
How did it get there?
Coupon Store gets into your system through various extensions and plug-ins and often hidden together with free applications installed as a free part of some software that you downloaded from some malicious site. Freeware and shareware are the sources of this browser hijacker as Coupon Store is bundled up with other small programs which combine to form an application and it enters in your system at the time of downloading. Coupon store can also be downloaded from conduit website.
How malicious is it?
- Coupon Store toolbar is very malicious and deceptive browser extension which changes your home page to search.conduit.com
- Unwanted redirect from one URL to another URL.
- The entire system would be exposed to malicious programs and they may drop more and more viruses.
- Social new page delivers contextual ads in various formats (pop-up ads, banners, in-line, redirects or full page promotion).
In case the system has been infected with this PUP, the following changes will be noticed by the user:
- The user getting redirected to the ad sites, automatically.
- An extensive number of pop-ups and banners on the user’s browser.
- The browser and search engine settings getting changed, automatically.
- These ads may redirect to harmful web pages.
Coupon Store PUP program targets the major browsers like:
- Internet Explorer (IE)
- Google Chrome
- Mozilla Firefox
How to Remove CouponStore?
Removing CouponStore browser hijacker from your system is a very easy task if you do it with the tool provided below, but the same removal can turn out to be a very time-consuming task, if done manually.
Method 1: By downloading CouponStore_RemovalTool.
Method 2: Manual steps of removal.
Scan your PC with CouponStore_RemovalTool.
- Download CouponStore RemovalTool by clicking on the given link:
- As soon as you will open the downloaded file a security warning pop-up will appear as shown below, click on ‘Run’ button.
NOTE: You will not see this pop-up in Windows 10.
- Again a pop-up window will appear. Click on ‘Yes’.
- A setup window will appear. Click on ‘Next’ button to start the process of installation.
- Automatically it will detect and show the active threats present in your system.
- To remove all the threats which are detected, click on ‘Clean Now’.
NOTE: If any browser are still running, close all the open browsers before proceeding.
- A pop-up will show you all the infected files, folders and registry entries has been removed successfully.
How to remove Coupon Store manually?
Manual Process of removing this browser hijacker will leave some files behind in your system. So I will advise you to download the tool provided above to remove the browser hijacker directly in just a few clicks.
Steps to remove Coupon Store from Internet Explorer
- Open Internet Explorer.
- Go toTools à Click on Internet Options.
- From the given tabs, click on ‘Advanced’ tab.
- Under ‘Reset Internet Explorer settings’ option, click on ‘Reset’ option.
- Set the homepage to the one you want to use.
Browser settings changed to default and the browser hijacker is removed.
Steps to remove http://couponstore.co from Google Chrome
- Press +R button on keyboard to open ‘Run’ box.
- In the Run box, type this path: “%localappdata%\Google\Chrome\User Data”.
- Search forDefault and then Extensions
- Delete the folder named“lppphkdihepdibjclibocgniljgmmhmd”.
- Go back to Google Chrome.
- Go toMenu à More Tools à Extensions.
- Delete the extension named “CouponStore ”.
The infected extension will be removed. Please note that the residue files might still be left behind in this method.
Steps to remove using Coupon store from Mozilla Firefox:
- Press +R button on keyboard to open ‘Run’ box.
- In the Run box, type this path: ‘%appdata%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles.
- Now in Profiles, delete file named ‘@thecouponstore.xpi’.
- Now, go to Menu > More Tools > Extensions and delete the extension named ‘Couponstore‘.
Tips to Prevent CouponStore From Infecting Your System:
- Enable your popup blocker: Pop-ups and ads in the websites are the most adoptable tactic used by cyber criminals or developers with the core intention to spread malicious programs like CouponStore. So, avoid clicking uncertain sites, software offers, pop-ups etc.
- Keep your Windows Updated:To avoid such infections, we recommend that you should always keep your system updated through automatic windows update. By doing this you can keep your device free from virus. According to survey, outdated/older versions of windows operating system are an easy target.
- Third party installation:Try to avoid freeware download websites as they usually install bundled of software with any installer or stub file.
- Regular Back up: Regular and periodical backup helps you to keep your data safe in case the system is infected by any kind of virus or any other infection. Thus always backup important files regularly on a cloud drive or an external hard drive.
- Always have an Anti-Virus: Precaution is better than cure. We recommend that you install an antivirus like McAfee or a good Malware Removal Tool like Free Malware RemovalTool. Apart from this we would suggest a regular updating of these software to detect and avoid latest infections.