DirectionsandMap claims to provide you the directions, maps, routes, live traffic etc., but what all this program claims to do is fake. First you have add an extension in your browser and once the installation gets complete, it will start displaying a lot of advertisements and infected pop-up links.
This browser extension can damage your system also. It will also slow down your browsing speed. This malicious browser hijacker is categorized as potentially unwanted program (PUP). This bogus application alters the new tab URL, homepage and default search engine browsing options by assigning them to search.searchmap.com. If you don’t handle it timely, chances that are made on your machine will get filled with all kind of dangerous virus and at the same time, your personal information like web history, online banking details, search queries, IP address and email contacts will be easily stolen by cyber criminals.
How does it enter into your system?
Once you click the download button, it will directly come into your system without your permission as it is bundled with freeware and adware. Are you annoyed by virus infected ads or pop-ups on your browser? Have you witnessed that your homepage is replaced? Did your search engine get replaced by any other search engine? If this is happening then your PC has surely got infamous virus as search.searchmap.com. It is sponsored by third parties to generate revenue for them by promoting a lot of advertisements and infected links along with the search results. You should always pay attention while installing software because, a software installer often includes optional installs such as search.searchmap.com browser hijacker.
- Display a lot of advertisements and infected pop-up links.
- The homepage and default search engine will get replaced.
- Slow down your browsing speed.
- Redirects you to search.searchmap.com.
- Gathers your sensitive information and also tracks your browsing activity.
- Exposes your system to other malware.
- Google Chrome
- Mozilla Firefox
- Internet Explorer
How to remove Directions and Map:
You can remove it using the given methods:
- Automatic: Remove Directions and Map using DirectionsandMaps RemovalTool.
- Manual: Remove Directions and Map manually.
Scan your PC with:
- Download DirectionsandMap RemovalTool by clicking on the given link:
- As soon as you will open the downloaded file a security warning pop-up will appear as shown below, click on ‘Run’ button.
NOTE: You will not see this pop-up in Windows 10.
- Again a pop-up window will appear. Click on ‘Yes’.
- A setup window will appear. Click on ‘Next’ button to start the process of installation.
- Automatically it will detect and show the active threats present in your system.
- To remove all the threats which are detected, click on ‘Clean Now’.
NOTE: If any browser are still running, close all the open browsers before proceeding.
- A pop-up will show you all the infected files, folders and registry entries has been removed successfully.
How to remove Directions and Map manually?
Steps to remove ‘Directions and Map’ from Google Chrome:
- Press +R button on keyboard to open ‘Run’ box.
- In the Run box which appears, type this path: ‘%localappdata%\Google\Chrome\User Data‘.
- Search for Default folder and then Extensions
- Delete the folder that would be named somewhat like this: ‘jikhomiapjkgcbfliajoibpdndhfhpaa’.
- Go back to Google Chrome.
- Now go to Menu > More Tools > Extensions.
- Delete the extension named ‘Directions and Map’.
Steps to remove ‘Directions and Map’ from Mozilla Firefox:
- Press +R button on keyboard to open ‘Run’ box.
- In the Run box, type this path: ‘%appdata%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles‘.
- Click on the folder with ‘.default’ appended in the folder name. For e.g.: ‘e6x5wbsb.default‘.
- In this folder, delete ‘search.json.mozlz4‘.
- In the same folder, click on ‘Extensions’ folder and delete the file named
- Set your favorite homepage.
- Now restart your browser.
Steps to remove ‘Directions and Map’ from Internet Explorer:
- Open Internet Explorer (IE).
- Go to Tools –> Click on Internet Options.
- From the listed tabs, click on ‘Advanced’ tab.
- Under ‘Reset Internet Explorer settings’ option, click on ‘Reset…’.
- Set the homepage of your choice.
Tips to Prevent Directions and Map From Infecting Your System:
- Enable your popup blocker: Pop-ups and ads in the websites are the most adoptable tactic used by cyber criminals or developers with the core intention to spread malicious programs like Directions and Map. So, avoid clicking uncertain sites, software offers, pop-ups etc.
- Keep your Windows Updated:To avoid such infections, we recommend that you should always keep your system updated through automatic windows update. By doing this you can keep your device free from virus. According to survey, outdated/older versions of windows operating system are an easy target.
- Third party installation:Try to avoid freeware download websites as they usually install bundled of software with any installer or stub file.
- Regular Back up: Regular and periodical backup helps you to keep your data safe in case the system is infected by any kind of virus or any other infection. Thus always backup important files regularly on a cloud drive or an external hard drive.
- Always have an Anti-Virus: Precaution is better than cure. We recommend that you install an antivirus like McAfee or a good Malware Removal Tool like Malware Crusher. Apart from this we would suggest a regular updating of these software to detect and avoid latest infections.