ExactSearch.org is a browser hijacker and also known as potentially unwanted program (PUP). Once this malicious program is installed on your system, it alters your web browser’s setting like your homepage & search engine. You may also face certain problems such as being redirected to annoying web sites like porn sites, random meeting sites, etc. If your PC is infected then you would automatically redirected to exactsearch.org search page as shown in the image below, when you open a browser/new browser tab or search via the URL bar.
You may also be subjected to lots of obtrusive pop-up ads. These hijackers also gather your personal information gathered without your knowledge. This browser extension will slow down your browsing speed. This main purpose of the ExactSearch.org virus is to hijack the browser settings like default search engine and home page. By doing so the extension owner generates traffic for his vendors. This hampers your browsing experience and the advertisements it shows take up your internet bandwidth.
It might not be that dangerous, but you still should be very careful, since it may show annoying and malicious advertisements which mislead you into buying certain questionable programs or products. It also provides search results that may redirect your internet browser to some deceptive, misleading or malicious sites.
How did exactsearch.org enter into your system?
This browser hijacker is commonly bundled with other free programs that you download of the internet. Since the developers of such browser hijackers know that users often rush the download/installation processes and do not read the offers or terms and conditions associated with these so called free applications, they bundle such infections with these free applications. Various kinds of problems start to occur as soon as this threat manages to infiltrate the system. It record IP addresses, pages viewed, URLs visited, and other similar data that might contain personal information. Based on this collected data, which may be later shared with third parties, you are subjected to various annoying advertisements and pop-ups.
Problems ExactSearch.org creates:
Information tracking can lead to serious privacy issues or even identity theft. Advertisements appear in humongous amounts on every page that you visit, resulting in slowdowns and crashes following soon after.
- Changes homepage and default search results (Redirects you to anonymous search engines which you don’t even want to visit.
- Manipulates web traffic to generate revenue.
- Numerous pop-up messages.
- There are new icons on your desktop that you don’t recognize.
- Slows down browsing speed.
Tips to Prevent ExactSearch.org From Infecting Your System:
- Enable your popup blocker: Pop-ups and ads in the websites are the most adoptable tactic used by cyber criminals or developers with the core intension to spread malicious programs like ExactSearch.org. So, avoid clicking uncertain sites, software offers, pop-ups etc.
- Keep your Windows Updated:To avoid such infections, we recommend that you should always keep your system updated through automatic windows update. By doing this you can keep your device free from virus. According to survey, outdated/older versions of windows operating system are an easy target.
- Third party installation:Try to avoid freeware download websites as they usually install bundled of software with any installer or stub file.
- Regular Back up: Regular and periodical backup helps you to keep your data safe in case the system is infected by any kind of virus or any other infection. Thus always backup important files regularly on a cloud drive or an external hard drive.
- Always have an Anti-Virus: Precaution is better than cure. We recommend that you install an antivirus like McAfee or a good Malware Removal Tool like Malware Crusher. Apart from this we would suggest a regular updating of these software to detect and avoid latest infections.