FileShareFanatic is a malicious toolbar which gets installed on your web browser without your knowledge. It is a browser hijacker which modifies the browser settings and changes the default homepage and search engine to “myway.com”. Technically, it is categorized as a malware program or a Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP). When your computer is infected with this hijacker, then it could lead to more pop-up ads, banners and sponsored links on your computer screen.
Download the tool given below to remove the hijacker.
FileShareFanatic redirects your searches to useless advertisements to earn money from their publishers.
- It installs additional plugins (toolbars, extensions or add-ons) in your browser in order to promote other products.
- It may redirect you to malicious websites or may install malicious programs which can compromise your privacy.
- It also slows down your PC speed to a large extent.
This behavior is also seen in Screen Dream browser hijacker.
How it Enters My System?
The FileShareFanatic toolbar gets installed on your computer without your knowledge. Extensions like this are usually bundled in the installation files of other legitimate programs. People go through the installation of such legitimate software without noticing that they are also installing additional software which could harm their system.
What are its Malicious Effects?
Once you install FileShareFanatic in your system, it will start showing the following malicious effects:
- It will change your default homepage, search engine and new tab page.
- When FileShareFanatic is installed in your system, then the web browser redirects to different search engine.
- It might display lots of advertisements, links or banners on your browser window.
- It can track your sensitive information such as IP addresses, search queries, URLs visited and other browser data. It then sells this data to third parties to generate revenue.
The majorly targeted browsers of FileShareFanatic are:
- Google Chrome
- Mozilla Firefox
- Internet Explorer
How to remove FileShareFanatic?
You can remove it using the given methods:
- Automatic: Removing FileShareFanatic using FileShareFanatic RemovalTool
- Manual: Removing FileShareFanatic manually
Remove FileShareFanatic using FileShareFanatic RemovalTool
- Download FileShareFanatic RemovalTool by clicking on the given link:
- As soon as you will open the downloaded file a security warning pop-up will appear as shown below, click on ‘Run’ button.
NOTE: You will not see this pop-up in Windows 10.
- Again a pop-up window will appear. Click on ‘Yes’.
- A setup window will appear. Click on ‘Next’ button to start the process of installation.
- Automatically it will detect and show the active threats present in your system.
- To remove all the threats which are detected, click on ‘Clean Now’.
NOTE: If any browser are still running, close all the open browsers before proceeding.
- A pop-up will show you all the infected files, folders and registry entries has been removed successfully.
How to remove it manually?
Steps to remove FileShareFanatic from Google Chrome:
- Press +R button on keyboard to open ‘Run’ box.
- In the Run box which appears, type the following path: ‘%localappdata%\Google\Chrome\User Data‘.
- Search for Default folder and then Extensions.
- Delete the folder that would be named somewhat like this: ‘ghcboljebpicnplbkaahighhpoaocodi’ and ‘abihoikmfaflfjphkfomnelmnlbgmhok’.
- Go back to Google Chrome.
- Now go to Menu > More Tools > Extensions.
- Delete the extension named ‘FileShareFanatic’.
Steps to remove FileShareFanatic from Mozilla Firefox:
- Press +R button on keyboard to open ‘Run’ box.
- In the Run box, type this path: ‘%appdata%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles‘.
- Click on the folder having ‘.default’ in the folder name. For e.g.: ‘e6x5wbsb.default‘.
- In this folder, delete ‘json.mozlz4‘.
- In the same folder, click on ‘Extensions’ folder and delete the file named _8lMembers_@free.filesharefanatic.com.
- Set your favorite homepage and restart your browser.
Steps to remove FileShareFanatic from Internet Explorer:
- Open Internet Explorer (IE).
- Go to Tools and click on Internet Options.
- From the listed tabs, click on ‘Advanced’ tab.
- Under ‘Reset Internet Explorer settings’ option, click on the ‘Reset…’ button.
- Set the homepage of your choice.
Tips to Prevent FileShareFanatic From Infecting Your System:
- Enable your popup blocker: Pop-ups and ads in the websites are the most adoptable tactic used by cyber criminals or developers with the core intention to spread malicious programs like FileShareFanatic. So, avoid clicking uncertain sites, software offers, pop-ups etc.
- Keep your Windows Updated:To avoid such infections, we recommend that you should always keep your system updated through automatic windows update. By doing this you can keep your device free from virus. According to survey, outdated/older versions of windows operating system are an easy target.
- Third party installation:Try to avoid freeware download websites as they usually install bundled of software with any installer or stub file.
- Regular Back up: Regular and periodical backup helps you to keep your data safe in case the system is infected by any kind of virus or any other infection. Thus always backup important files regularly on a cloud drive or an external hard drive.
- Always have an Anti-Virus: Precaution is better than cure. We recommend that you install an antivirus like McAfee or a good Malware Removal Tool like Malware Crusher. Apart from this we would suggest a regular updating of these software to detect and avoid latest infections.