GruxEr ransomware is a latest spreading worldwide ransomware that is based on the Hidden Tear family. It is a 3-in-1 malicious ransomware (this includes TEARS.exe (which uses Hidden Tear as its foundation), WORM.exe, and GRUXER.exe.). This one doesn’t change the extensions of files that it attacks – it only corrupts them. This GruxEr Virus infects your PC without your knowledge. It encrypts files and makes them inaccessible. The sole aim of the GruxEr ransomware is to make your files inaccessible and extort money from you against restoring those files.
Common symptoms of GruxEr ransomware
- Users is not able to access any of the files you try to open.
- Affected files have unusual/odd extensions (like .crypted, .locky, .sage, etc.).
- You may find .txt or .html ransomware instruction files in system folders.
- Your desktop screen gets locked, so that you can’t access your PC.
- Pop-up messages appears on the PC screen, that ask you to pay “a ransom” to get access to your PC or files again.
- Ransomware may delete important system files
- Sluggish PC performance.
- Your anti-virus software stops working.
Behavior of this Ransomware in your computer-3 Stages.
- After being implanted into one of the directories, the virus will complement modifications in Windows Registry Keys. A screen-locker will prevent victims from fully launching their OS. The image used as a locker will serve the purpose of a ransom note, like the one above.
- In the ransom note displayed like the one in the image above, the hackers will reveal their demands. The ransom note asks for 250 US Dollars as a ransom has to be sent within 72 hours.
- The second stage of this ransomware infection is meant to run a variant of Hidden Tear. During this phase, “READ_IT.txt” file could be added on victims’ desktops. However, this is when infection starts being a bit odd as the message presented will demand either bitcoins or a kebab.
- The third stage is responsible for showing which existing files were encrypted. However, despite changing files’ extensions, Gruxer crypto-virus launches a worm in this process, which modify images of shortcuts. A short statement “GRUXER WAS HERE” will be seen on/in every corrupted file.
Tips to Prevent GruxEr Ransomware From Infecting Your System:
- Enable your popup blocker: Pop-ups and ads in the websites are the most adoptable tactic used by cyber criminals or developers with the core intention to spread malicious programs like GruxEr Ransomware. So, avoid clicking uncertain sites, software offers, pop-ups etc.
- Keep your Windows Updated:To avoid such infections, we recommend that you should always keep your system updated through automatic windows update. By doing this you can keep your device free from virus. According to survey, outdated/older versions of windows operating system are an easy target.
- Third party installation:Try to avoid freeware download websites as they usually install bundled of software with any installer or stub file.
- Regular Back up: Regular and periodical backup helps you to keep your data safe in case the system is infected by any kind of virus or any other infection. Thus always backup important files regularly on a cloud drive or an external hard drive.
- Always have an Anti-Virus: Precaution is better than cure. We recommend that you install an antivirus like McAfee or a good Malware Removal Tool like Malware Crusher. Apart from this we would suggest a regular updating of these software to detect and avoid latest infections.