HeadlineAlley is a rogue browser add-on that claims to provide latest news from around the world. It may seem legitimate and useful but it is actually a browser hijacker or Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP). This browser extension sneaks into your computer and infects it. It adds unnecessary bookmarks in your browser such as news, weather feeds, etc.
HeadlineAlley monitors your browsing activity and tracks your information such as search queries, URLs visited, pages viewed, IP addresses, and other information.
How does it enter your system? How malicious is it?
HeadlineAlley might enter your system through a misleading software marketing method called “bundling”. Many users install this PUP unknowingly.
- It slows down the computer system and makes it unstable.
- It hijacks your web browser and replaces the default homepage and search engine.
- It redirects you to its own search provider.
- It is mainly associated with third parties and can lead to lots of ads and infected links leading to an annoying browsing experience.
- This application is designed only to generate revenue for the developers, whilst regular users receive no significant value.
HeadlineAlley browser hijacker leads to the following problems:
- Information tracking
- Annoying pop-up advertisements and links
- Data leakage
- Modified browser and search engine settings
- Exposing system to other malware
The same behavior can also be seen in Everyday Manual.
- Google Chrome
- Mozilla Firefox
- Internet Explorer
How to remove HeadlineAlley:
You can remove it using the given methods:
- Automatic: Removing HeadlineAlley using HeadlineAlley RemovalTool.
- Manual: Removing HeadlineAlley manually
Remove HeadlineAlley using HeadlineAlley RemovalTool
- Download HeadlineAlley RemovalTool by clicking on the given link:
- As soon as you will open the downloaded file a security warning pop-up will appear as shown below, click on ‘Run’ button.
NOTE: You will not see this pop-up in Windows 10.
- Again a pop-up window will appear. Click on ‘Yes’.
- A setup window will appear. Click on ‘Next’ button to start the process of installation.
- Automatically it will detect and show the active threats present in your system.
- To remove all the threats which are detected, click on ‘Clean Now’.
NOTE: If any browser are still running, close all the open browsers before proceeding.
- A pop-up will show you all the infected files, folders and registry entries has been removed successfully.
How to remove HeadlineAlley manually?
Steps to remove HeadlineAlley from Google Chrome:
- Press +R button on keyboard to open ‘Run’ box.
- In the Run box which appears, type this path: ‘%localappdata%\Google\Chrome\User Data‘.
- Search for Default folder and then Extensions
- Delete the folder that would be named somewhat like this: ‘bjjhfmdnoonajbncgfjndbajofekbjki’.
- Go back to Google Chrome.
- Now go to Menu > More Tools > Extensions.
- Delete the extension named ‘HeadlineAlley’.
Steps to remove ‘HeadlineAlley’ from Mozilla Firefox:
- Press +R button on keyboard to open ‘Run’ box.
- In the Run box, type this path: ‘%appdata%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles‘.
- Click on the folder with ‘.default’ appended in the folder name. For e.g.: ‘e6x5wbsb.default‘.
- In this folder, delete ‘json.mozlz4‘.
- In the same folder, click on ‘Extensions’ folder and delete the file named _29Members_@www.headlinealley.com.
- Set your favorite homepage.
- Now restart your browser.
Steps to remove HeadlineAlley from Internet Explorer:
- Open Internet Explorer (IE).
- Go to Tools –> Click on Internet Options.
- From the listed tabs, click on ‘Advanced’ tab.
- Under ‘Reset Internet Explorer settings’ option, click on ‘Reset…’.
- Set the homepage of your choice.
Tips to Prevent HeadlineAlley From Infecting Your System:
- Enable your popup blocker: Pop-ups and ads in the websites are the most adoptable tactic used by cyber criminals or developers with the core intention to spread malicious programs like HeadlineAlley. So, avoid clicking uncertain sites, software offers, pop-ups etc.
- Keep your Windows Updated:To avoid such infections, we recommend that you should always keep your system updated through automatic windows update. By doing this you can keep your device free from virus. According to survey, outdated/older versions of windows operating system are an easy target.
- Third party installation:Try to avoid freeware download websites as they usually install bundled of software with any installer or stub file.
- Regular Back up: Regular and periodical backup helps you to keep your data safe in case the system is infected by any kind of virus or any other infection. Thus always backup important files regularly on a cloud drive or an external hard drive.
- Always have an Anti-Virus: Precaution is better than cure. We recommend that you install an antivirus like McAfee or a good Malware Removal Tool like Malware Crusher. Apart from this we would suggest a regular updating of these software to detect and avoid latest infections.