LATENTBOT is Backdoor Trojan which exist in the computer hacker world since 2013. Latentbot malware is a multi-modular trojan and it is build on delphi programming and it is spread by rig exploit kit. It targets professional organizations majorly and the countries which are mostly affected by this malware are- US, United Kingdom, Brazil, United Arab Emirates and Canada. This malware is capable of completely corrupting a hard disk to make an infected system useless. This malware operates almost invisibly and has managed to leave barely any traces of its existence on the Internet. LatentBot as a malware is capable of taking the complete control of systems, stealing the data and it secretly watches its victims. We strongly recommend you to use a malware removal tool to safeguard your system from getting infected by such malware.
Type– Backdoor Trojan
Danger Level-High. This is a type of malware that often opens the way for Ransomware threats.
Symptoms-Unexpected appearance of unauthorized software on your drive.
Distribution Method-Infected .exe files, program bundles, e-mail attachments, malicious websites.
Latentbot Malware – Methods of spreading across the web
- Email attachments- Victims are first targeted with an email containing a malicious word file as an attachment. When the attachment is opened, it triggers an executable. Be careful of that file extension – a file should end with .exe only if it is a program or an installer either one of them. Invoice.exe is definitely not a work-related file, instead it is a virus or a Trojan that is made to look like one.
- Program bundles- Free programs or programs downloaded from torrent or online storage sites are often the carriers for different adware, virus or trojans.
- Pop-up Ads- If you are tempted with the Ads that show up on your PC and if you mistakenly click them, it could be an entry point for such malware.
- Another unique feature of this Malware is, its use of a hidden Virtual Network Computing (VNC) process in the memory that allows attackers to remotely monitor victims without being noticed.
- LATENTBOT was created using a modular structure, which means it can upgrade itself with new features and the users is unaware of these changes.
- Fake Scanning: It installs a duplicate scanning program which automatically runs false scan and displays fictitious threats.
Tips to Prevent Latentbot Backdoor Malware From Infecting Your System:
- Enable your popup blocker: Pop-ups and ads in the websites are the most adoptable tactic used by cyber criminals or developers with the core intension to spread malicious programs like Latentbot Backdoor Malware. So, avoid clicking uncertain sites, software offers, pop-ups etc.
- Keep your Windows Updated:To avoid such infections, we recommend that you should always keep your system updated through automatic windows update. By doing this you can keep your device free from virus. According to survey, outdated/older versions of windows operating system are an easy target.
- Third party installation:Try to avoid freeware download websites as they usually install bundled of software with any installer or stub file.
- Regular Back up: Regular and periodical backup helps you to keep your data safe in case the system is infected by any kind of virus or any other infection. Thus always backup important files regularly on a cloud drive or an external hard drive.
- Always have an Anti-Virus: Precaution is better than cure. We recommend that you install an antivirus like McAfee or a good Malware Removal Tool like Malware Crusher. Apart from this we would suggest a regular updating of these software to detect and avoid latest infections.