MetroWhiz is an application that supposedly allows users to check public transport schedules or subway maps but it is actually a plug-in or browser extension which infects the well-known web browsers like Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer.
MetroWhiz Removal Tool
It is also known as a potentially unwanted browser that will pop-up malicious advertisements or third party sponsored hyperlink. It not only displays a ton of malicious pop-up ads but also deteriorates your system’s performance. If the user tries to type anything in the search box it will redirect them to metrowhiz.dl.myway. It will also change the browser settings and default homepage. It is not a virus but contains a number of potentially unwanted programs. It brings other malicious programs into the PC, without your knowledge.
How does it enter into your system?
It is installed most of the times without user’s desired permission. MetroWhiz toolbar sometimes used tricky moves to get into your system. Once it is installed into your system it will show instant changes in your browser. This browser hijacker modifies your browser settings and displays excessive annoying pop-up ads on your browser screen. It also brings many other malware infections such as ransomware, Trojan viruses etc. These virus can affect your PC performance. It steals your personal information and browsing history or activities and pass them on to the third party with the aim of earning money because they generate traffic for them. It will redirects or browser redirects to a website that has paid for positioning in MetroWhiz search results and you will end up on the malicious websites or content which can cause some risk to your PC. To get rid of from this browser extension or dangerous browser hijacker, here is a tool for removing the browser extension or removing the virus from the browser.
Detected behaviors and nature:
- Automatically redirects to a different tab.
- Hijacks your web browser homepage and default search engine.
- It can also alter registry files to change the entire computer system.
- It will redirect you to MetroWhiz.dl.myway link or its search engine.
- It will decrease your system’s performance.
- It will track your browsing activities and gather the information which can be sensitive.
- It exposes the system to other malware.
- Google Chrome
- Mozilla Firefox
- Internet Explorer
How to remove MetroWhiz?
You can remove it using the given methods:
- Automatic: Removing MetroWhiz using MetroWhiz RemovalTool.
- Manual: Removing MetroWhiz manually.
Remove MetroWhiz using MetroWhiz RemovalTool
- Download MetroWhiz RemovalTool by clicking on the given link:
- As soon as you will open the downloaded file a security warning pop-up will appear as shown below, click on ‘Run’ button.
NOTE:You will not see this pop-up in Windows 10.
- Again a pop-up window will appear. Click on ‘Yes’.
- A setup window will appear. Click on ‘Next’ button to start the process of installation.
- Automatically it will detect and show the active threats present in your system.
- To remove all the threats which are detected, click on ‘Clean Now’.
NOTE: If any browser are still running, close all the open browsers before proceeding.
- A pop-up will show you all the infected files, folders and registry entries has been removed successfully.
How to remove MetroWhiz manually?
Steps to remove ‘MetroWhiz’ from Google Chrome:
- Press +R button on keyboard to open ‘Run’ box.
- In the Run box which appears, type this path: ‘%localappdata%\Google\Chrome\User Data‘.
- Search for Default folder and then Extensions
- Delete the folder that would be named somewhat like this: ‘chehalmnfknmekckahpjefmplpaipcco’ and ‘gddiehhlphkfabhcldibfbfdhidihcgo’.
- Go back to Google Chrome.
- Now go to Menu > More Tools > Extensions.
- Delete the extension named ‘MetroWhiz’ .
Steps to remove ‘MetroWhiz’ from Mozilla Firefox:
- Press +R button on keyboard to open ‘Run’ box.
- In the Run box, type this path: ‘%appdata%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles‘.
- Click on the folder with ‘.default’ appended in the folder name. For e.g.: ‘e6x5wbsb.default‘.
- In this folder, delete ‘Search.json.mozlz4’.
- In the same folder, click on ‘Extensions’ folder and delete the file named _5pMembers_@www.metrowhiz.com.
- Set your favorite homepage.
- Now restart your browser.
Steps to remove ‘MetroWhiz’ from Internet Explorer:
- Open Internet Explorer (IE).
- Go to Tools –> Click on Internet Options.
- From the listed tabs, click on ‘Advanced’ tab.
- Under ‘Reset Internet Explorer settings’ option, click on ‘Reset…’.
- Set the homepage of your choice.
Tips to Prevent MetroWhiz From Infecting Your System:
- Enable your popup blocker: Pop-ups and ads in the websites are the most adaptable tactic used by cyber criminals or developers with the core intention to spread malicious programs like MetroWhiz. So, avoid clicking uncertain sites, software offers, pop-ups etc.
- Keep your Windows Updated:To avoid such infections, we recommend that you should always keep your system updated through automatic windows update. By doing this you can keep your device free from virus. According to survey, outdated/older versions of Windows operating system are an easy target.
- Third party installation:Try to avoid freeware download websites as they usually install bundled of software with any installer or stub file.
- Regular Back up: Regular and periodical backup helps you to keep your data safe in case the system is infected by any kind of virus or any other infection. Thus always backup important files regularly on a cloud drive or an external hard drive.
- Always have an Anti-Virus: Precaution is better than cure. We recommend that you install an antivirus like McAfee or a good Malware Removal Tool like Malware Crusher. Apart from this we would suggest a regular updating of these software to detect and avoid latest infections.