PDFConvertTools Toolbar is fake toolbar, which is also a browser hijacker ,it looks useful to the user for -example provides the ability to convert and view pdf files, allows quick access to popular social networks and marketable sites. But in reality, this silently gets into the computer and infects it.
How does it get into the computer? Its malicious effects on the computer?
PDFConvertTools Toolbar comes bundled with other programs, that the user might have downloaded from the free sites. This also gets installed with the bundling policy ,where users often install PDFConvertTools unintentionally without their permission. Bundling is stealth installation of PUPs with regular software. After gaining access on the PC by breaching user’s permission, PDFConvertTools do alters the browser settings. It redirects to unwanted browser.
If you’ve accidentally become a victim to this browser hijacker, you’ll notice the following behaviors:
- When you launch the infected browser, the homepage has been changed and it also adds bookmarks to the toolbar: ‘pdf to doc’ and ‘doc to pdf’.
- The search engine has been changed and redirects to a different search engine.
- It adds thumbnails of converters on your default homepage.
Targeted Browser: –
This browser hijacker acts differently on different browsers. It targets:
- Mozilla Firefox
- Google Chrome
- Internet Explorer
How to Remove ‘PDFConvertTool’?
You can remove ‘PDFConvertTool’using either of the given two methods:
Automatic: To remove ‘PDFConvertTool’using PDFConvertTools_RemovalTool
Manual: To remove ‘PDFConvertTool’manually
Automated Removal Tool :
- Download PDFConvertTools RemovalTool by clicking on the given link:
- As soon as you will open the downloaded file a security warning pop-up will appear as shown below, click on ‘Run’ button.
NOTE: You will not see this pop-up in Windows 10.
- Again a pop-up window will appear. Click on ‘Yes’.
- A setup window will appear. Click on ‘Next’ button to start the process of installation.
- Automatically it will detect and show the active threats present in your system.
- To remove all the threats which are detected, click on ‘Clean Now’.
NOTE: If any browser are still running, close all the open browsers before proceeding.
- A pop-up will show you all the infected files, folders and registry entries has been removed successfully.
- Press +R button on keyboard to open ‘Run’ box.
- In the dialog box which appears type the following path: %localappdata%\Google\Chrome\User Data‘.
- Go to Default folder and navigate to ‘Extensions’ folder inside it.
- Delete the folder which is named similar to ‘niajnfgpmcoodbjffpekedghdjedalja’ and ‘bkbpfdkbpbckgkcelkfjjhepmdcdmah’.
- Go back to Google Chrome.
- Now, go to Menu > More Tools > Extensions and delete the extension named ‘PDFConvertTool’
- Press +R button on keyboard to open ‘Run’ box.
- In the Run box, type this path: ‘%appdata%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles‘.
- Click on the folder with ‘.default‘ text appended in between the folder name. For eg: ‘e6x5wbsb.default‘.
- In this folder, delete ‘search.json.mozlz4‘.
- In the same folder, click on ‘Extensions‘ folder and delete_jnMembers_@www.pdfconverttools.com.
- Set your favorite homepage.
- Now restart your browser.
- Steps to remove ‘PDFConvertTool’from IE
- Launch IE
- Go to Tools > Internet Options.
- From the available tabs, click on ‘Advanced’ tab.
- Under ‘Reset Internet Explorer settings’, click ‘Reset…’.
- Set the homepage to your favorite one.
Browser settings will be reset and the hijacker will be removed.
By following the above manual steps will help you get rid of the ‘‘PDFConvertTool ’hijacker on a temporary basis only. All these steps are a guide for you to help you remove this malware manually but as technical expertise, we would suggest that you remove them using the Removal tool.
Tips to Prevent PDFConvertTools Toolbar From Infecting Your System:
- Enable your popup blocker: Pop-ups and ads in the websites are the most adoptable tactic used by cyber criminals or developers with the core intention to spread malicious programs like PDFConvertTools Redirect. So, avoid clicking uncertain sites, software offers, pop-ups etc.
- Keep your Windows Updated:To avoid such infections, we recommend that you should always keep your system updated through automatic windows update. By doing this you can keep your device free from virus. According to survey, outdated/older versions of windows operating system are an easy target.
- Third party installation:Try to avoid freeware download websites as they usually install bundled of software with any installer or stub file.
- Regular Back up: Regular and periodical backup helps you to keep your data safe in case the system is infected by any kind of virus or any other infection. Thus always backup important files regularly on a cloud drive or an external hard drive.
- Always have an Anti-Virus: Precaution is better than cure. We recommend that you install an antivirus like McAfee or a good Malware Removal Tool like Free Malware RemovalTool. Apart from this we would suggest a regular updating of these software to detect and avoid latest infections.