ProductivityBoss is an ad-based virus, better known as browser hijacker or potentially unwanted program (PUP). It is a browser toolbar which claims to save time and money by finding the most relevant services but in reality, it displays a variety of pop-ups, hyperlinks and banner-type ads. It sets the homepage and search engine of the web browser to myway.com.
It monitors your browsing activity and tracks information such as search queries, pages viewed, IP address, URLs visited and other information. It is said to be a useless toolbar which gets into your system through a freeware or shareware.
How does it enter into your system?
ProductivityBoss enters your system when you download software from various unknown sites. This browser hijacker gets into your system and takes over your browser by changing its browser settings and homepage. It also redirects you to its partner’s sites in order to generate money and bring traffic.
The malicious behavior of ProductivityBoss includes:
- Automatic redirection to different URLs.
- Appearance of too many ads and pop-ups.
- Tracking of internet activities and gathering sensitive information.
- Changing of homepage and search engine.
- Decreased browsing speed.
- Exposes system to other malware.
The same behavior can also be seen in Translation Buddy browser hijacker.
- Google Chrome
- Mozilla Firefox
- Internet Explorer
How to remove ProductivityBoss?
You can remove it using the given methods:
- Automatic: Removing ProductivityBoss using ProductivityBoss RemovalTool
- Manual: Removing ProductivityBoss manually.
Remove ProductivityBoss using ProductivityBoss RemovalTool
- Download ProductivityBoss RemovalTool by clicking on the given link:
- As soon as you will open the downloaded file a security warning pop-up will appear as shown below, click on ‘Run’ button.
NOTE: You will not see this pop-up in Windows 10.
- Again a pop-up window will appear. Click on ‘Yes’.
- A setup window will appear. Click on ‘Next’ button to start the process of installation.
- Automatically it will detect and show the active threats present in your system.
- To remove all the threats which are detected, click on ‘Clean Now’.
NOTE: If any browser are still running, close all the open browsers before proceeding.
- A pop-up will show you all the infected files, folders and registry entries has been removed successfully.
How to remove ProductivityBoss manually?
Steps to remove ProductivityBoss from Google Chrome:
- Press +R button on keyboard to open ‘Run’ box.
- In the Run box which appears, type this path: ‘%localappdata%\Google\Chrome\User Data‘.
- Search for Default folder and then Extensions
- Delete the folder that would be named somewhat like this: ‘dlgoampkpigglcpgfapbhipfpealldeo’ and ‘abihoikmfaflfjphkfomnelmnlbgmhok’.
- Go back to Google Chrome.
- Now go to Menu > More Tools > Extensions.
- Delete the extension named ‘ProductivityBoss’.
Steps to remove ‘ProductivityBoss’ from Mozilla Firefox:
- Press +R button on keyboard to open ‘Run’ box.
- In the Run box, type this path: ‘%appdata%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles‘.
- Click on the folder with ‘.default’ appended in the folder name. For e.g.: ‘e6x5wbsb.default‘.
- In this folder, delete ‘json.mozlz4‘.
- In the same folder, click on ‘Extensions’ folder and delete the file named _e5Members_@www.productivityboss.com.
- Set your favorite homepage.
- Now restart your browser.
Steps to remove ProductivityBoss from Internet Explorer:
- Open Internet Explorer (IE).
- Go to Tools –> Click on Internet Options.
- From the listed tabs, click on ‘Advanced’ tab.
- Under ‘Reset Internet Explorer settings’ option, click on ‘Reset…’.
- Set the homepage of your choice.
Tips to Prevent ProductivityBoss From Infecting Your System:
- Enable your popup blocker: Pop-ups and ads in the websites are the most adoptable tactic used by cyber criminals or developers with the core intention to spread malicious programs like ProductivityBoss. So, avoid clicking uncertain sites, software offers, pop-ups etc.
- Keep your Windows Updated:To avoid such infections, we recommend that you should always keep your system updated through automatic windows update. By doing this you can keep your device free from virus. According to survey, outdated/older versions of windows operating system are an easy target.
- Third party installation:Try to avoid freeware download websites as they usually install bundled of software with any installer or stub file.
- Regular Back up: Regular and periodical backup helps you to keep your data safe in case the system is infected by any kind of virus or any other infection. Thus always backup important files regularly on a cloud drive or an external hard drive.
- Always have an Anti-Virus: Precaution is better than cure. We recommend that you install an antivirus like McAfee or a good Malware Removal Tool like Malware Crusher. Apart from this we would suggest a regular updating of these software to detect and avoid latest infections.