Search.searchgst.com, also known as Get Speed Tester infects your browser while you are surfing and gets downloaded & installed randomly. It comes through random software that you downloaded from the internet. This is a browser hijacker that totally converts your browser into another form and tampers with your browser settings. It adds a default thumbnail of internet speed testing on the homepage and every other tab you launch. This browser hijacker’s speed testing module might deceive you in terms of internet speed results. It can easily be removed from your browser by using GetSpeedTesterRemovalTool.
How did it get into my computer?
Probably your browser got infected with this hijacker by clicking on a random ad which was displayed on some website. This then changes the default homepage & search engine to search.searchgst.com. It also adds its own extension to the browser and then affects your browsing speed and slows it down. Get Speed Tester and related links have been reported to collect sensitive user information including your IP address. These malicious activities occur when you install a random software or through random clicks on any web page.
This is a browser hijacker that targets Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome & Internet Explorer.
If you become a victim to this browser hijacker accidentally. you’ll notice the following behavior:
- When you launch your browser, the homepage & search engine get changed.
- An extension is added to the browser.
- Different thumbnails added to your homepage of your browser.
- It adds bookmarks to the toolbar.
search.searchgst.com Removal Tool
How to Remove search.searchgst.com?
This is a step-by-step exhaustive guide to help you in removing the hijacker installed on your machine. Follow these steps in correct order so that you don’t end up harming your computer further.
- Removing search.searchgst.com by scanning your PC with GetSpeedTesterRemovalTool.
- Removing search.searchgst.com manually?
1. Removing search.searchgst.com by scanning your PC with ‘GetSpeedTesterRemovalTool’ :
- Download search.searchgst.com RemovalTool by clicking on the given link:
- As soon as you will open the downloaded file a security warning pop-up will appear as shown below, click on ‘Run’ button.
NOTE: You will not see this pop-up in Windows 10.
- Again a pop-up window will appear. Click on ‘Yes’.
- A setup window will appear. Click on ‘Next’ button to start the process of installation.
- Automatically it will detect and show the active threats present in your system.
- To remove all the threats which are detected, click on ‘Clean Now’.
NOTE: If any browser are still running, close all the open browsers before proceeding.
- A pop-up will show you all the infected files, folders and registry entries has been removed successfully.
2. Removing Search.searchgst.com Manually
Removing search.searchgst.com manually can leave behind some remnant files. So it is always recommended that you use the given tool to remove the prevailing browser hijacker.
Steps to remove search.searchgst.com from IE
- Launch IE.
- Go to Tools > Internet Options.
- From the available tabs, click on ‘Advanced’ tab.
- Under ‘Reset Internet Explorer settings’, click ‘Reset…’.
- Set the default page to your favorite one.
Browser settings will be reset and the hijacker will be removed.
Steps to remove search.searchgst.com from Google Chrome
- Press +R button on keyboard to open ‘Run’ box.
- Enter the following path: %localappdata%\Google\Chrome\User Data
- Search for Default and then Extensions folder.
- Delete the folder named ‘pppggofodnpeipdfidaiidagkjoekola’.
- Now go to the Menu of Google Chrome -> More Tools -> Extensions.
- Delete the extension named Get Speed Tester. This process will remove the extension.
Steps to remove search.searchgst.com from Mozilla Firefox
- Press +R button on keyboard to open ‘Run’ box.
- Navigate to Windows drive and in go to the following path %appdata%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles.
- Now in Profiles search for a folder with ‘.default’ in its name.
- Go to that folder and delete ‘search.json.mozlz4’.
- Now in extensions folder, delete ‘@Speedtest.xpi’.
- Open your Mozilla settings and set your default homepage.
Please note that the remnant files might still be left behind in this method.
Tips to Prevent search.searchgst.com Toolbar From Infecting Your System:
- Enable your popup blocker: Pop-ups and ads in the websites are the most adoptable tactic used by cyber criminals or developers with the core intention to spread malicious programs like search.searchgst.com Redirect. So, avoid clicking uncertain sites, software offers, pop-ups etc.
- Keep your Windows Updated:To avoid such infections, we recommend that you should always keep your system updated through automatic windows update. By doing this you can keep your device free from virus. According to survey, outdated/older versions of windows operating system are an easy target.
- Third party installation:Try to avoid freeware download websites as they usually install bundled of software with any installer or stub file.
- Regular Back up: Regular and periodical backup helps you to keep your data safe in case the system is infected by any kind of virus or any other infection. Thus always backup important files regularly on a cloud drive or an external hard drive.
- Always have an Anti-Virus: Precaution is better than cure. We recommend that you install an antivirus like McAfee or a good Malware Removal Tool like Free Malware RemovalTool. Apart from this we would suggest a regular updating of these software to detect and avoid latest infections.