Came here looking for a solution to get rid of search.searchmpct.com infection in your computer? Relax this article will help you get rid of this browser hijacker.
What is search.searchmpct.com?
This is a browser hijacker which enters your PC without your prior permission. You can get rid of it by downloading ‘ConvertThatPDFRemovalTool‘ here.
What is a browser hijacker?
Browser hijacker is an infection which when installed on your computer alters the behavior of your browser by changing the homepage and the default search engine. A browser hijacker is also referred to as hijackware and is categorized as a type of malware program. It alters your browser settings in such a manner that while browsing you are redirected to Web sites that you had no intention of visiting.
How did you get it?
This browser hijacker gets into your computer by various methods. One of the prominent being an attempt to search for a free site or a software to convert one file format to another for e.g. converting word file to PDF or vice versa. Nothing is free in this world. These free software or sites install the so-called add-ons which basically hijack the homepage and the search engine of your browser. Say your default search results were earlier displayed by google but after the installation of such hijackers, the search results are redirected to other search providers. One such example is shown below in the screenshot:
This browser hijacker infects the three most commonly used browsers-
1. Google Chrome
2. Mozilla Firefox
3. Internet Explorer
How to remove this from your PC?
There are two ways to remove this infection:
- Automatic: Remove search.searchmpct.com browser hijacker using ConvertThatPdfRemovalTool.
- Manual: Remove search.searchmpct.com browser hijacker using Manual steps.
Follow the steps below to get rid of this hijacker and get your computer infection free:
A. Automated Removal tool :
- Download search.searchmpct.com RemovalTool by clicking on the given link:
- As soon as you will open the downloaded file a security warning pop-up will appear as shown below, click on ‘Run’ button.
NOTE: You will not see this pop-up in Windows 10.
- Again a pop-up window will appear. Click on ‘Yes’.
- A setup window will appear. Click on ‘Next’ button to start the process of installation.
- Automatically it will detect and show the active threats present in your system.
- To remove all the threats which are detected, click on ‘Clean Now’.
NOTE: If any browser are still running, close all the open browsers before proceeding.
- A pop-up will show you all the infected files, folders and registry entries has been removed successfully.
B. Manual Steps
Steps to remove Searchmpct from
- Press +R button on keyboard to open ‘Run’ box.
- In the Run box which opens up, type this path: ‘%localappdata%\Google\Chrome\User Data’. Now, search for Default and then Extensions folder.
- Delete the folder that would be named somewhat like: ‘eiikolbbafmbldhmifkjbllpmhbiknho’.
- Go back to Google Chrome.
- Now go to Menu > More Tools > Extensions.
- Delete the extension named ‘Convert That PDF’.
Steps to remove Searchmpct from Mozilla Firefox:
- Press +R button on keyboard to open ‘Run’ box.
- In the Run box which opens up, type this path: ‘%appdata%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles‘.
- Click on the folder with ‘.default‘ text appended in between the folder name. For eg: ‘e6x5wbsb.default‘.
- In this folder, delete ‘search.json.mozlz4‘.
- In the same folder, click on ‘Extensions‘ folder and delete ‘@Converter.xpi’.
- Now restart your browser.
The infected extension will be removed. Please note that the remnant files might still be left behind in this method.
Steps to remove Searchmpct from Internet Explorer:
- Launch IE.
- Go to Tools > Internet Options.
- From the available tabs, click on ‘Advanced’ tab.
- Under ‘Reset Internet Explorer settings’, click ‘Reset…’.
- Set the homepage to your favorite one.
- Browser settings will be reset and the hijacker will be removed.
Following the above manual steps will help you get rid of the ‘Searchmpct’ hijacker on a temporary basis only. The hijacker may re-appear anytime later since there are high possibilities of residue files being left behind. All these steps are a guide for you to help you remove this malware manually but as technical expertise, we would suggest that you remove them using the Removal tool (Download Here).
Tips to Prevent search.searchmpct.com Toolbar From Infecting Your System:
- Enable your popup blocker: Pop-ups and ads in the websites are the most adoptable tactic used by cyber criminals or developers with the core intention to spread malicious programs like search.searchmpct.com Redirect. So, avoid clicking uncertain sites, software offers, pop-ups etc.
- Keep your Windows Updated:To avoid such infections, we recommend that you should always keep your system updated through automatic windows update. By doing this you can keep your device free from virus. According to survey, outdated/older versions of windows operating system are an easy target.
- Third party installation:Try to avoid freeware download websites as they usually install bundled of software with any installer or stub file.
- Regular Back up: Regular and periodical backup helps you to keep your data safe in case the system is infected by any kind of virus or any other infection. Thus always backup important files regularly on a cloud drive or an external hard drive.
- Always have an Anti-Virus: Precaution is better than cure. We recommend that you install an antivirus like McAfee or a good Malware Removal Tool like Free Malware RemovalTool. Apart from this we would suggest a regular updating of these software to detect and avoid latest infections.