The search.searchtp.com malware by SaferBrowser is a browser hijacker that comes with other free software that you download over the internet. Once installed, it injects its own settings into your browser. How? It sets the homepage and search engine of your browser to search.searchtp.com and query.searchtp.com, tampering with your default search engine and default browser.
How did it get there?
Probably you clicked on random links or random ads that got you to this browser hijacker. Higher chances are that this malware got bundled into the installation when you installed a software. Unfortunately, the software that you download does not mention clearly about another software or ad-on being installed along with it.
Some adware removal tools may also be bundled with such browser hijackers.
The searchtp malware has a large family of browser hijackers having a lot in common. You’ll notice words like ‘search’, ‘home’ appended to the main domain ‘searchtp’. So, in case you encounter some other similar hijackers, we are giving you details about search.searchtp.com.
How malicious is it?
This malware crawls into your system and modifies registry entries which in turn affects your system. It also attacks your browser in a way that it changes the default search engine and homepage. It then gets difficult to change it back to the default one since the registry has been affected.
What’s even dangerous that it spreads in your computer and causes it to function abnormally. It’s hard to uninstall it completely. You can see traces of it coming up every now and then. It affects the working of your system and can lead to sudden crashes and speed lags. It’s that malicious!
If you’ve accidentally become a victim to this browser hijacker, you’ll notice the following behavior:
- When you launch the infected browser, the homepage gets changed.
- The search engine gets changed.
- When you type anything in the search box, it searches using its own search engine or using Yahoo.
- You can notice random browser extensions being installed.
- You may see a speed lag in browsing.
The searchtp browser hijacker targets major browsers like IE, Chrome & Firefox. It changes the default search engine & start-page to searchtp.
How to Remove search.searchtp.com?
This is a step-by-step comprehensive guide on removing the hijacker installed on your machine. Follow these steps in correct order so that you don’t end up harming your computer further.
- Removing search.searchtp.com browser hijacker using Tracker Package Removal Tool.
- Removing search.searchtp.com browser hijacker using manual steps.
Scan your PC with TrackerPackageRemovalTool :
- Download search.searchtp.com RemovalTool by clicking on the given link:
- As soon as you will open the downloaded file a security warning pop-up will appear as shown below, click on ‘Run’ button.
NOTE: You will not see this pop-up in Windows 10.
- Again a pop-up window will appear. Click on ‘Yes’.
- A setup window will appear. Click on ‘Next’ button to start the process of installation.
- Automatically it will detect and show the active threats present in your system.
- To remove all the threats which are detected, click on ‘Clean Now’.
NOTE: If any browser are still running, close all the open browsers before proceeding.
- A pop-up will show you all the infected files, folders and registry entries has been removed successfully.
How to remove search.searchtp.com manually?
Removing search.searchtp.com manually can leave behind some remnant files. So it is always recommended that you use this tool to remove the prevailing browser hijacker.
Steps to remove search.searchtp.com from Internet Explorer
- Launch Internet Explorer.
- Go to Tools > Internet Options.
- From the available tabs, click on ‘Advanced’ tab.
- Under ‘Reset Internet Explorer settings’, click ‘Reset…’.
- Set the homepage to your favorite one.
Browser settings will be reset and the hijacker will be removed.
Steps to remove search.searchtp.com from Google Chrome
- Press +R button on keyboard to open ‘Run’ box.
- In the Run box, type this path: ‘%localappdata%\Google\Chrome\User Data‘. Search for Default and then Extensions folder.
- Delete the folder named ‘ckemikgmfkmiflabncnjofpncoklbjel’.
- Go back to Google Chrome.
- Now go to Menu > More Tools > Extensions.
- Delete the extension named ‘TrackerPackage‘.
The infected extension will be removed. Please note that the remnant files might still be left behind in this method.
Steps to remove search.searchtp.com from Mozilla Firefox
- Press +R button on keyboard to open ‘Run’ box.
- In the Run box, type this path: ‘%appdata%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles‘.
- Click on the folder with ‘.default‘ text appended in between the folder name. For eg: ‘e6x5wbsb.default‘.
- In this folder, delete ‘search.json.mozlz4‘.
- In the same folder, click on ‘Extensions‘ folder and delete ‘Package.api’.
- Now set the homepage and restart your browser.
search.searchtp.com Removal Tool
Tips to Prevent search.searchtp.com Toolbar From Infecting Your System:
- Enable your popup blocker: Pop-ups and ads in the websites are the most adoptable tactic used by cyber criminals or developers with the core intention to spread malicious programs likesearch.searchtp.com Redirect. So, avoid clicking uncertain sites, software offers, pop-ups etc.
- Keep your Windows Updated:To avoid such infections, we recommend that you should always keep your system updated through automatic windows update. By doing this you can keep your device free from virus. According to survey, outdated/older versions of windows operating system are an easy target.
- Third party installation:Try to avoid freeware download websites as they usually install bundled of software with any installer or stub file.
- Regular Back up: Regular and periodical backup helps you to keep your data safe in case the system is infected by any kind of virus or any other infection. Thus always backup important files regularly on a cloud drive or an external hard drive.
- Always have an Anti-Virus: Precaution is better than cure. We recommend that you install an antivirus like McAfee or a good Malware Removal Tool like Free Malware RemovalTool. Apart from this we would suggest a regular updating of these software to detect and avoid latest infections.