Searchlock is considered as a browser hijacker that will pop-up random pop-up boxes, ads or third party sponsored links. Searchlock claims to protect you by redirecting your searches from Google, Bing, Ask, and others that profile you to SearchLock’s privacy-enhancing results but it is categorized as potentially unwanted program (PUP) and a browser hijacker.
It also collects a lot of information that is personally identifiable like tracking your IP address, websites that you visited, search queries, etc. once you installed, it will display all kind of pop-up windows, banners, ads search suggestions or malware content. When you will install this browser hijacker it will change your homepage and search engine for your web browser to its own search result. It is suggested to remove it as soon as possible from your system as this can destroy your system.
How does it infect your system? How dangerous is it?
Once you install this browser hijacker name Searchlock in your system, it will start showing its effects and will enter in your system. If it start displaying a lot of advertisements, pop-up links or banners on your screen then it means this browser hijacker enters your system. It will instantly change your webpage and search engine and also redirects you to its own search engine. This program prefers to use third party installers to come into your system uninvited through the back door. This process is called bundling, which involves virus in it and it will infect or harm your browser. A browser extension can be added and you will see ads and incorrect search results.
Another downside of this browser hijacker is tracking your sensitive information, IP addresses, search queries, URL’s visited and other data relating to web browsing activity. They sell these data to third party to generate revenue or they can misuse your personal information.
Behaviors and malicious effects:
- Automatic redirect to new tab.
- Change the browser settings, homepage and default search engine, automatically.
- Steal your private data like password IP addresses or bank details.
- Exhibits spam pop-ups to cheat you to but useless products or services.
- Decrease system performance.
- Adware creates additional ads, pop-ups, banners in-text ads and videos.
The same behavior can also be seen in Movie Carpet browser hijacker.
- Google Chrome
- Mozilla Firefox
- Internet Explorer
How to remove Searchlock:
You can remove it using the given methods:
- Automatic: Remove Searchlock using SearchLock RemovalTool.
- Manual: Remove Searchlock
Remove Searchlock using SearchLock RemovalTool.
- Download Searchlock RemovalTool by clicking on the given link:
- As soon as you will open the downloaded file a security warning pop-up will appear as shown below, click on ‘Run’ button.
NOTE: You will not see this pop-up in Windows 10.
- Again a pop-up window will appear. Click on ‘Yes’.
- A setup window will appear. Click on ‘Next’ button to start the process of installation.
- Automatically it will detect and show the active threats present in your system.
- To remove all the threats which are detected, click on ‘Clean Now’.
NOTE: If any browser are still running, close all the open browsers before proceeding.
- A pop-up will show you all the infected files, folders and registry entries has been removed successfully.
How to remove Searchlock manually?
Steps to remove ‘Searchlock’ from Google Chrome:
- Press +R button on keyboard to open ‘Run’ box.
- In the Run box which appears, type this path: ‘%localappdata%\Google\Chrome\User Data‘.
- Search for Default folder and then Extensions
- Delete the folder that would be named somewhat like this: ‘madakpajlmcpaodhfbekojajlhbdklol’.
- Go back to Google Chrome.
- Now go to Menu > More Tools > Extensions.
- Delete the extension named ‘Searchlock’.
Steps to remove ‘Searchlock’ from Mozilla Firefox:
- Press +R button on keyboard to open ‘Run’ box.
- In the Run box, type this path: ‘%appdata%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles‘.
- Click on the folder with ‘.default’ appended in the folder name. For e.g.: ‘e6x5wbsb.default‘.
- In this folder, delete ‘search.json.mozlz4‘.
- In the same folder, click on ‘Extensions’ folder and delete the file named ‘@searchlock-fx.xpi’.
- Set your favorite homepage.
- Now restart your browser.
Steps to remove ‘Searchlock’ from Internet Explorer:
- Open Internet Explorer (IE).
- Go to Tools –> Click on Internet Options.
- From the listed tabs, click on ‘Advanced’ tab.
- Under ‘Reset Internet Explorer settings’ option, click on ‘Reset…’.
- Set the homepage of your choice.
Tips to Prevent Searchlock From Infecting Your System:
- Enable your popup blocker: Pop-ups and ads in the websites are the most adoptable tactic used by cyber criminals or developers with the core intention to spread malicious programs like Searchlock. So, avoid clicking uncertain sites, software offers, pop-ups etc.
- Keep your Windows Updated:To avoid such infections, we recommend that you should always keep your system updated through automatic windows update. By doing this you can keep your device free from virus. According to survey, outdated/older versions of windows operating system are an easy target.
- Third party installation:Try to avoid freeware download websites as they usually install bundled of software with any installer or stub file.
- Regular Back up: Regular and periodical backup helps you to keep your data safe in case the system is infected by any kind of virus or any other infection. Thus always backup important files regularly on a cloud drive or an external hard drive.
- Always have an Anti-Virus: Precaution is better than cure. We recommend that you install an antivirus like McAfee or a good Malware Removal Tool like Malware Crusher. Apart from this we would suggest a regular updating of these software to detect and avoid latest infections.