Searchprivacy.co is presented as a legitimate Internet search engine that protects the user privacy and also improves the search result. This function may seem to be useful, but this browser hijacker constantly monitors user’s Internet browsing activity.
It might look something like this:
How did it get there?
This browser hijacker has its official website from where it is generally downloaded by the user and is also bundled with free software downloaded from Internet. It is installed silently without giving any warning to the user. Some other way through which it enters the victim PC is through spam email attachment, fake software updates and also by clicking on some unpleasant ads or visiting a corrupt website.
How malicious is it?
- This browser hijacker changes the browser settings and search engine redirects to searchprivacy.co and the user repeatedly encounters unwanted search engine.
- Once installed on victim’s PC, it starts showing loads of ads while the user surfs the internet.
- Displays banner ads, pop-up ads, in-text links and other ads to every website that the user visits. Some of these ads may redirect to harmful web pages.
- This browser hijacker persistently tracks the user’s IP address, websites visited, pages viewed and also the search results. Further these details are shared to third parties to generate revenue.
In case the system has been infected with this this browser hijacker, the following changes will be noticed by the user:
- The browser will automatically redirect to Searchprivacy.co.
- The user will experience inaccurate search results.
- An extensive number of pop-ups and banners on the user’s browser.
- Ads may redirect to harmful web pages.
Searchprivacy.co targets the major browsers like:
- Internet Explorer (IE)
- Google Chrome
- Mozilla Firefox
How to remove Searchprivacy toolbar
You can remove the Searchprivacy hijacker using the following methods:
- Method 1: Removing Searchprivacy using SearchPrivacy_RemovalTool.
- Method 2: Removing Searchprivacy manually
Remove Searchprivacy Automatically
Download the removal tool by clicking on the link given below:
- Downloading using SearchPrivacy_RemovalTool
- Double click on the tool icon.
- When the setup launches, click ‘Next’ on the window that appears.
- In the following screen, type ‘Y’ for ‘Yes’ to start the scanning process.
- In the next screen that appears, type ‘Y’ for ‘Yes’ to automatically close all the browsers and continue the cleaning process.
- Wait for the removal process to get completed & it would be done. You can now check, the logs of the deleted files in the text file that appears after the removal process.
Removing Searchprivacy manually.
Steps to remove using Searchprivacy from IE:
- Launch Internet Explorer.
- Go to Tools > Internet Options.
- From the available tabs, click on ‘Advanced’ tab.
- Under ‘Reset Internet Explorer settings’, click ‘Reset’.
- Set the homepage to your favorite one.
- Browser settings will be reset and the browser hijacker will be removed.
Steps to remove using Searchprivacy from Google Chrome:
- Go to the Startbutton on your computer screen.
- Type ‘Run’in the search box & hit Enter
- Now, in the Run box which opens up, type the following path: ‘%localappdata%\Google\Chrome\User Data‘.
- Go to Default
- Navigate to Extensionsfolder inside it.
- Delete the folder named ‘kndfedpnopfaooaccklmklecmcbpkdaf’.
- Go back to Google Chrome.
- Now, go to Menu > More Tools > Extensions and delete the extension named ‘Discover Live Radio’
Steps to remove using Searchprivacy from Mozilla Firefox:
- Press the ‘Windows’ key and tap the “R” key once.
- In the Run box, type this path: ‘%appdata%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles.
- Now in Profiles, delete folder named ‘firstname.lastname@example.org’.
- Now, go to Menu > More Tools > Extensions and delete the extension named ‘Searchprivacy‘.