Furious with the series of pop-up ads and banners on your computer screen? Default search engine/home page changes to an unwanted search engine/home page? Well, looks like your computer and the browser is being hijacked by a virus. If you see the UnTabs extension in the list of browser add-ons then your computer is infected with an adware and it is important to know about this adware and remove it at the earliest. Let us get to know this Malicious PUP.
What is Untabs?
UnTabs extension is a malicious browser hijacker. It typically changes user’s default search engine to cleanserp.net and also starts delivering various ads in pop-up windows or banners. The ‘ad supported’ software is an unwanted software that is going to pop-up a lot of advertisements and deals on your browser. It will not delete or damage your files, but it can modify computer’s settings or download and install other harmful programs. This is a browser hijacker but it acts like an adware which gets downloaded with some program the you might have downloaded as a freeware.
Behavioral Changes after being infected with UnTabs Extension Virus.
- UnTabs virus changes homepage and new tab address to http://cleanserp.net or other bogus search site that serves corrupted search results;
- The malicious extension acts like malware and slows down the computer, making the compromised web browser lag or crash from time to time.
- The browser suddenly starts opening new tabs or windows and loading third-party advertisements in them. The victim might also notice underlined text spots in websites he visits, that display advertisements as soon as he hovers the mouse over them.
- The infected browser can also unexpectedly redirect the user to shady websites without victim’s permission to do so.
- It will modify the web-browser’s start page and search engine
Different sources of UnTabs Extension Virus Entry in your computer?
- The appearance of Untabs Virus on your browser is usually due to some free apps you installed before.
- When you open a new website, or click on a link on the websites, you will get random spam pop-ups and annoying ads which attempt to make you purchase useless things.
- It can also come with the junk emails which people receive regularly if their email account is exposed to the public.
Problems UnTabs creates:
- It records IP addresses, browsing history, search history, download history and other similar data that might contain personal details like phone number, passwords, credit card detail and send it to third parties.
- They have tied up the third party to bring traffic for them in return of money. Information tracking can lead to serious privacy issues or even identity theft.
- Advertisements appear in humongous amounts on every page that you visit, thereby resulting in slowdowns and probable crashes.
- This Adware attacks on all the major Browsers like Google. Firefox, Internet Explorer.
Tips to Prevent UnTabs Extension Virus From Infecting Your System:
- Enable your popup blocker: Pop-ups and ads in the websites are the most adoptable tactic used by cyber criminals or developers with the core intention to spread malicious programs like UnTabs Extension Virus. So, avoid clicking uncertain sites, software offers, pop-ups etc.
- Keep your Windows Updated:To avoid such infections, we recommend that you should always keep your system updated through automatic windows update. By doing this you can keep your device free from virus. According to survey, outdated/older versions of windows operating system are an easy target.
- Third party installation:Try to avoid freeware download websites as they usually install bundled of software with any installer or stub file.
- Regular Back up: Regular and periodical backup helps you to keep your data safe in case the system is infected by any kind of virus or any other infection. Thus always backup important files regularly on a cloud drive or an external hard drive.
- Always have an Anti-Virus: Precaution is better than cure. We recommend that you install an antivirus like McAfee or a good Malware Removal Tool like Free Malware RemovalTool. Apart from this we would suggest a regular updating of these software to detect and avoid latest infections.