News about USA alert-This is a current alert but it has it is in existence since 2009 as a cyber-attack on the US. There was a joint Technical Alert (TA) by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). This alert shared technical details on the tools and infrastructure used by cyber hackers of the North Korean government to target the media, aerospace, financial, and critical infrastructure sectors in the United States and globally.
The threat actor named by the U.S. government “Hidden Cobra” is better known in the infosec community as Lazarus Group, which is supposed to be behind several high-profile attacks, including the ones targeting Sony Pictures, Bangladesh’s central bank, and financial organizations in Poland.
Few listed Methods for this cyber-attack spreading Worldwide: –
- Patch applications and operating systems – Most cyber-criminals target vulnerable applications and operating systems. Ensuring that applications and operating systems are patched with the latest updates, which will reduce the number of exploitable entry points available to an attacker. Use best practices sharing practice, when updating software and patches by only downloading updates from authenticated vendor sites.
- Use application whitelisting – Whitelisting is one of the best security strategies because it allows only specified programs to run while blocking all others, including malicious software.
- Restrict administrative rights – Threat group are increasingly focused on gaining control of legitimate credentials, especially credentials associated with high profile accounts. In order to reduce these privileges to only those needed for a user’s identity.
- Segment networks and segregate them into security zones – Segment networks into logical enclaves and restrict host-to-host communications paths. This aid protects sensitive information and critical services and limits damage from network perimeter breaches.
- Validate input – Input validation is a method of sanitizing untrusted input provided by users of a web application. Enforcing input validation can protect against the security flaws of web applications.
Understand firewalls – Firewalls provide security to make your network less vulnerable to attack. They can be configured to block data and applications from certain locations (IP whitelisting), while allowing relevant and necessary data through.
Tips to Prevent Cyber Attacks From Infecting Your System:
- Enable your popup blocker: Pop-ups and ads in the websites are the most adoptable tactic used by cyber criminals or developers with the core intention to spread malicious programs. So, avoid clicking uncertain sites, software offers, pop-ups etc.
- Keep your Windows Updated:To avoid such infections, we recommend that you should always keep your system updated through automatic windows update. By doing this you can keep your device free from virus. According to survey, outdated/older versions of windows operating system are an easy target.
- Third party installation:Try to avoid freeware download websites as they usually install bundled of software with any installer or stub file.
- Regular Back up: Regular and periodical backup helps you to keep your data safe in case the system is infected by any kind of virus or any other infection. Thus always backup important files regularly on a cloud drive or an external hard drive.
- Always have an Anti-Virus: Precaution is better than cure. We recommend that you install an antivirus like McAfee or a good Malware Removal Tool like Malware Crusher. Apart from this we would suggest a regular updating of these software to detect and avoid latest infections.