What Is Zeus Virus ?
Zeus malware (Trojan) is also known as Zbot Trojan. It is an influential and silently operating Trojan horse which uses its malicious functions to steal sensitive, personally identifiable information and banking credentials.
If you want to safeguard your system from any kind of Trojan or virus in future then Download All in one Free Malware Removal Tool.
Also if you want to know how a Trojan spreads on your system then you can look at Methods of Spreading On Your System?
Zeus malware Trojan horse virus is spread on a large scale through the RIG Exploit Kit. That new version is dubbed as “Chthonic” and it is first emerged a couple of years ago, when it hit more than 150 banks all over the world. That activity is still ongoing, although the Trojan is also used for the distribution of ransomware. The malware has had many names over the years, and a very notable one is Zbot. After infection, it will display an alert about the system update and security pop up. While, whenever it offers to scan your computer and provide you with the tech support number to claim to help fix the problems, do not trust them. As a matter of fact, the alert is not real and the problems you are informed do not exist at all.
In case your PC is behaving in some unwanted manner then you can look at Points suggesting your PC hasbeen compromised
Note: These “Windows ZEUS Virus Detected” alerts are nothing more than a scam. Microsoft does not send any unsolicited email messages or make uninvited phone calls to request personal or financial information or fix your computer. Treat all unsolicited phone calls or pop-ups with skepticism. Do not provide/give/send any personal information.
The scammers will typically make attempts to get the victim to allow remote access to their computer. After remote access is gained, the scammers rely on confidence tricks typically involving utilities built into Windows (Like Event Viewer etc) and other software in order to gain the victim’s trust to pay for the supposed “support” services. The scammers actually steals the victim’s credit card & account information.
Name: Zeus virus
Type: Backdoor Trojan
Danger level- High. “Windows detected ZEUS virus pop-up” will display frightening notes.
Symptoms: unexpected appearance of unauthorized software on your drive.
Distributed methods: Infected .exe files, programs bundles, email attachments, malicious websites.
ZEUS MALWARE – methods of spreading on your system.
- Fake Scanning:It installs a duplicate scanning program which automatically runs false scan and displays fictitious threats.
- Program bundles-Free programs or programs downloaded from torrent or online storage sites are often the carriers for different adware, virus or Trojans.
- Email attachments-Victims are first targeted with an email containing a malicious word file as an attachment. When the attachment is opened, it triggers an executable. Be careful of that file extension – a file should end with .exe only if it is a program or an installer either one of them. For example, Invoice.exe is definitely not a work-related file, instead it is a virus or a Trojan that is made to look like one.
- Another unique feature of this MALWARE is, its use of a hidden Virtual Network Computing(VNC) process in the memory that allows attackers to remotely monitor victims without being noticed.
- Pop-up Ads- If you are tempted with the Ads that show up on your PC and if you mistakenly click them, it could be an entry point for such malware.
- Drive-by downloads happen when the hackers are able to corrupt legitimate websites, inserting their malicious code into a website that the user trusts.
Points suggesting your PC hasbeen compromised:
- User may receive error ‘Internet Explorer could not display the page’ when attempting to access certain websites.
- Your computer will run slower than the usual.
- Web browser’s default homepage will change.
- Access to security related websites will be blocked.
- You will get redirect to other web pages other than the one you don’t want to visit.
- Your system will freeze, hang or become unresponsive.
- You will receive annoying web browser pop-up messages.
- Unwanted toolbars appear at the top of your browser.
Tips to Prevent Zeus Malware From Infecting Your System:
- Enable your popup blocker: Pop-ups and ads in the websites are the most adoptable tactic used by cyber criminals or developers with the core intention to spread malicious programs like Zeus Malware. So, avoid clicking uncertain sites, software offers, pop-ups etc.
- Keep your Windows Updated:To avoid such infections, we recommend that you should always keep your system updated through automatic windows update. By doing this you can keep your device free from virus. According to survey, outdated/older versions of windows operating system are an easy target.
- Third party installation:Try to avoid freeware download websites as they usually install bundled of software with any installer or stub file.
- Regular Back up: Regular and periodical backup helps you to keep your data safe in case the system is infected by any kind of virus or any other infection. Thus always backup important files regularly on a cloud drive or an external hard drive.
- Always have an Anti-Virus: Precaution is better than cure. We recommend that you install an antivirus like McAfee or a good Malware Removal Tool like Free Malware RemovalTool. Apart from this we would suggest a regular updating of these software to detect and avoid latest infections.