Combo Search is an unwanted browser extension that falls into the category of browser hijackers. It is a malicious toolbar which gets installed on your web browser without your knowledge. It claims to provide various savings coupons, offers, and discounts related to your searches. Combo Search does this by monitoring your browsing activities and collecting vital data. Download Combo Search RemovalTool here to get rid of this browser hijacker.
It is a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Program) which modifies the browser settings and changes the default homepage and search engine. Technically, it is categorized as a malware program. When your computer is infected with this hijacker, then it could lead to more pop-up ads, banners and sponsored links on your browser window.
The same behavior can also be seen in MyStartab Browser Hijacker.
How it Enters My System?
The Combo Search hijacker gets installed on your computer without your permission. Extensions like this are usually bundled in the installation files of other legitimate programs which you download over the internet. People go through the installation of such software without noticing that they are also installing malicious ad-ons which could harm their system.
What are its Malicious Effects?
Once you install Combo Search in your system, it will show the following malicious effects:
- Change your default homepage, search engine and new tab page.
- Redirect your searches to other websites.
- Display advertisements, links or banners on your browser window.
- Track your sensitive information such as IP addresses, search queries, URLs visited and other browser data.
The majorly targeted browsers of Combo Search are:
- Google Chrome
- Mozilla Firefox
- Internet Explorer
How to remove Combo Search?
You can remove Combo Search using the given methods:
- Automatic: Removing Combo Search using Combo Search RemovalTool
- Manual: Removing Combo Search manually
Removing Combo Search using Combo Search RemovalTool
- Download Combo Search RemovalTool by clicking on the given link:
Combo Search RemovalTool
- As soon as you will open the downloaded file a security warning pop-up will appear as shown below, click on ‘Run’ button.
NOTE: You will not see this pop-up in Windows 10.
- Again a pop-up window will appear. Click on ‘Yes’.
- A setup window will appear. Click on ‘Next’ button to start the process of installation.
- Automatically it will detect and show the active threats present in your system.
- To remove all the threats which are detected, click on ‘Clean Now’.
NOTE: If any browser are still running, close all the open browsers before proceeding.
- A pop-up will show you all the infected files, folders and registry entries has been removed successfully.
How to remove it manually?
Steps to remove Combo Search from Google Chrome:
- Press +R button on keyboard to open ‘Run’ box.
- In the Run box which appears, type the following path: ‘%localappdata%\Google\Chrome\User Data‘.
- Search for Default folder and then Extensions.
- Delete the folder that would be named somewhat like this: ‘igmljboleeifhccmmpkflfgcbammamcc’.
- Go back to Google Chrome.
- Now go to Menu > More Tools > Extensions.
- Delete the extension named ‘Combo Search’.
Steps to remove Combo Search from Internet Explorer:
- Open Internet Explorer (IE).
- Go to Tools and click on Internet Options.
- From the listed tabs, click on ‘Advanced’ tab.
- Under ‘Reset Internet Explorer settings’ option, click on the ‘Reset…’ button.
- Set the homepage of your choice.
Tips to Prevent Combo Search From Infecting Your System:
- Enable your popup blocker: Pop-ups and ads in the websites are the most adoptable tactic used by cyber criminals or developers with the core intention to spread malicious programs like Combo Search. So, avoid clicking uncertain sites, software offers, pop-ups etc.
- Keep your Windows Updated:To avoid such infections, we recommend that you should always keep your system updated through automatic windows update. By doing this you can keep your device free from virus. According to survey, outdated/older versions of windows operating system are an easy target.
- Third party installation:Try to avoid freeware download websites as they usually install bundled of software with any installer or stub file.
- Regular Back up: Regular and periodical backup helps you to keep your data safe in case the system is infected by any kind of virus or any other infection. Thus always backup important files regularly on a cloud drive or an external hard drive.
- Always have an Anti-Virus: Precaution is better than cure. We recommend that you install an antivirus like McAfee or a good Malware Removal Tool like Malware Crusher. Apart from this we would suggest a regular updating of these software to detect and avoid latest infections.