MapFinderz claims to be a tool that displays the coordinates of geographic locations with different scales and areas which are connected to satellite and shows the aerial view of the streets. The use of MapFinderz is to find the map of a chosen area and give you the option to view and save it on your system or to navigate it.
But in reality, it is a potentially unwanted program (PUP) known as browser hijacker. All the above mentioned functions will appear only after downloading MapFinderz and once you download it, it will start displaying a lot of advertisements and pop-up links on your screen which are harmful and can infect your system. This task of generating ads will slow down your system. MapFinderz is supported by the advertisers who may use it, to push the marketing materials on your desktop.
How does it enter into your computer? How malicious it is?
Once you click the download button, it will directly come into your system without your permission and it is bundled with freeware and adware. Keep in mind that their sources are not confirmed, they can redirect you to corrupt websites and make your system sluggish and infected. It can record your IP address, cookies, surfing history and transfer it to some third party with the aim of generating revenues. This also gets into your computer as a free bundled software.
- This browser hijacker replaces your homepage and the default search engine.
- Displays too many ads and pop-up links.
- Redirects you to dl.myway to give traffic to the third party.
- Other unwanted adware programs get installed, without your permission.
- It will slow down your browsing speed.
- Google Chrome
- Mozilla Firefox
- Internet Explorer
How to Remove Map Finderz?
You can remove it using the given methods:
- Automatic: Remove MapFinderz using MapFinderz_RemovalTool.exe.
- Manual: Remove MapFinderz.
Scan your PC with:
- Download MapFinderz RemovalTool by clicking on the given link:
- As soon as you will open the downloaded file a security warning pop-up will appear as shown below, click on ‘Run’ button.
NOTE: You will not see this pop-up in Windows 10.
- Again a pop-up window will appear. Click on ‘Yes’.
- A setup window will appear. Click on ‘Next’ button to start the process of installation.
- Automatically it will detect and show the active threats present in your system.
- To remove all the threats which are detected, click on ‘Clean Now’.
NOTE: If any browser are still running, close all the open browsers before proceeding.
- A pop-up will show you all the infected files, folders and registry entries has been removed successfully.
How to Remove MapFinderz Manually?
Steps to remove MapFinderz from Google Chrome:
- Press +R button on keyboard to open ‘Run’ box.
- In the Run box which appears, type the path: ‘%localappdata%\Google\Chrome\User Data‘.
- Search for Default folder and then Extensions.
- Delete the folder that would be named somewhat like this: ‘ppfkdfgeifokgdjflfoiigodkalipdnp’ and ‘bkbpfdkbpbckgkcelkfjjhepmdcdmahi’.
- Go back to Google Chrome.
- Now go to Menu > More Tools > Extensions.
- Delete the extension named ‘MapFinderz’.
Steps to remove ‘Map Finderz’ from Mozilla Firefox:
- Press +R button on keyboard to open ‘Run’ box.
- In the Run box, type this path: ‘%appdata%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles’.
- Click on the folder with ‘.default’ appended in the folder name. For eg: ‘e6x5wbsb.default’.
- In this folder, delete ‘json.mozlz4”.
- In the same folder, click on ‘Extensions’ folder and delete the file named _hwMembers_@free.MapFinderz .com.
- Set your favorite homepage.
- Now restart your browser.
Steps to remove File Send Suite from Internet Explorer:
- Open Internet Explorer (IE).
- Go to Tools–>Click on Internet Options.
- From the listed tabs, click on ‘Advanced’ tab.
- Under ‘Reset Internet Explorer settings’ option, click on ‘Reset…’.
- Set the homepage of your choice.
Browser settings will be reset and the browser hijacker will be removed.
Tips to Prevent MapFinderz From Infecting Your System:
- Enable your popup blocker: Pop-ups and ads in the websites are the most adoptable tactic used by cyber criminals or developers with the core intention to spread malicious programs like MapFinderz. So, avoid clicking uncertain sites, software offers, pop-ups etc.
- Keep your Windows Updated:To avoid such infections, we recommend that you should always keep your system updated through automatic windows update. By doing this you can keep your device free from virus. According to survey, outdated/older versions of windows operating system are an easy target.
- Third party installation:Try to avoid freeware download websites as they usually install bundled of software with any installer or stub file.
- Regular Back up: Regular and periodical backup helps you to keep your data safe in case the system is infected by any kind of virus or any other infection. Thus always backup important files regularly on a cloud drive or an external hard drive.
- Always have an Anti-Virus: Precaution is better than cure. We recommend that you install an antivirus like McAfee or a good Malware Removal Tool like Free Malware RemovalTool. Apart from this we would suggest a regular updating of these software to detect and avoid latest infections.