What Is Search.foxtab.com?
Fox Tab is an adware/ spyware which is further categorized as a browser extension. It changes the home page, adds a new tab and changes the default search engine to search.foxtab.com.
Once you click on search.foxtab.com, you give way to the cyber hackers to successfully obtain crucial information like your credit card information, browser’s history, saved passwords and cookies. Fox Tab is also termed as a redirection virus because it has the ability to edit internet browser settings, such as homepage (startup page), adding extensions/toolbars, managed search engines (default engines) and more. Post the infection this browser hijacker adds extension such as speed dial / UpdateTask.exe, FoxTabUpdater.exe, Sqlite3.dll, in the infected computer.
- Google Chrome
- Mozilla Firefox
- Internet Explorer
How did Fox tab infect my Computer?
- Malicious Website and downloads– Free downloads provided by malicious websites-like dating and porn websites. Surfing real-time news update and weather update websites.
- Playing online games can also bring this infection in your computer.
- External peripherals like pen drive, DVD, and memory card that are already infected with Fox tab can be the reason for this adware into your computer.
- Spam email attachments– This is the easiest method to carry infection in your computer.
Symptoms of Foxtab Infection
The main symptoms of Foxtab infections are:
- Alteration in browser settings, mainly the home page setting. Other areas that are affects are the browser startup, downloads, tabs, search, content, and privacy settings
- Addition of new search toolbars on your browser
- Display of pop-ups that appear to promote products online.
- Getting forwarded to an advertisement website which claim are legitimate websites but in reality, there are virus infected websites.
- You see programs that you never installed which appear on the startup of the computer.
- Computer speeds slows down during start-up and shut-down
How to remove Foxtab?
Method-Automatic: Using Foxtab Removal Tool
Method-Manual: Remove Manually.
Automatic Removal Steps:
- Download Foxtab RemovalTool by clicking on the given link:
Foxtab Removalby How to Remove It
As soon as you will open the downloaded file a security warning pop-up will appear as shown below, click on ‘Run’ button.
NOTE: You will not see this pop-up in Windows 10.
- Again a pop-up window will appear. Click on ‘Yes’.
- A setup window will appear. Click on ‘Next’ button to start the process of installation.
- Automatically it will detect and show the active threats present in your system.
- To remove all the threats which are detected, click on ‘Clean Now’.
NOTE: If any browser are still running, close all the open browsers before proceeding.
- A pop-up will show you all the infected files, folders and registry entries has been removed successfully.
How to remove Foxtab Manually?
Steps to remove Foxtab from Google Chrome:
- Press window key +R button on keyboard to open ‘Run’ box.
- In the Run box which appears, type this path: ‘%localappdata%\Google\Chrome\User Data‘.
- Search for Default folder and then Extensions
- Delete the folder that would be named “fcoecifcadmambfikillppkoafmgachp ”
- Go back to Google Chrome.
- Now go to Menu > More Tools > Extensions.
- Delete the extension named ‘Foxtab’.
Steps to remove ‘Foxtab’ from Internet Explorer:
- Go to Tools tab on your Internet Explorer and select Manage add-ons tab.
- select the option of ‘Toolbar and Extension’ and then delete the unwanted extension from there.
- In the other option ‘Search providers’. You can manage your search engine manually.
- Select the search engine and click set as default option according to your favorite one.
- If you are not able to change the settings from with the above steps. Click on Tool option >Internet Option >Advanced>Reset
- From this you can reset your browser such as default settings
Tips to Prevent Foxtab From Infecting Your System:
- Enable your popup blocker: Pop-ups and ads in the websites are the most adoptable tactic used by cyber criminals or developers with the core intention to spread malicious programs. So, avoid clicking uncertain sites, software offers, pop-ups etc.
- Keep your Windows Updated:To avoid such infections, we recommend that you should always keep your system updated through automatic windows update. By doing this you can keep your device free from virus. According to survey, outdated/older versions of windows operating system are an easy target.
- Third party installation:Try to avoid freeware download websites as they usually install bundled of software with any installer or stub file.
- Regular Back up: Regular and periodical backup helps you to keep your data safe in case the system is infected by any kind of virus or any other infection. Thus always backup important files regularly on a cloud drive or an external hard drive.
- Always have an Anti-Virus: Precaution is better than cure. We recommend that you install an antivirus like McAfee or a good Malware Removal Tool like Free Malware RemovalTool. Apart from this we would suggest a regular updating of these software to detect and avoid latest infections.
- Install a powerful ad-blocker for Chrome, Mozilla and IE.